Saturday, September 09, 2006

Why Guyanese Men Suck

Blogger's Note: It's a rare occurrence that I have internet access two days in a row. Originally I wasn't going to write another post, but since I was just on the most horrific mini-bus ride where roller coasters haven’t made my heart thump as fast, I feel the need to take advantage of this opportunity.
---------------------------------------------------------------------


I’ve been wondering for a long time what it is about the men in Guyana that make them suck. I think it might be in the culture or generations passing along unruly bad habits.

Whenever women walk down the street, the men make these sucking noises followed by some sort of inappropriate line. It’s the Guyanese version of whistling at a girl, except they suck.

Unfortunately a majority of the men behave this way. American women find this conduct rude and obnoxious. We’ve been instructed to ignore the sucking noises and comments and continue walking.

One afternoon as we were heading home from school, we heard the same group of men making sucking noises at us. As usual, we kept walking and ignored their Will-you-marry-me-and-take-me-back-to-America-with-you comments. After having us ignore them all week, one of the men got fed up with our standoffish attitudes and shouted, “Why are you so anti-social?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Guyanese and Dominican men have a lot in common. I still can't get over the fact that if you ignore them they make comments like you're the one in the wrong (have been trying to figure this one out for years).

Anyhow, I am reaaaaally enjoying your posts. Be safe and enjoy as much as you can your time there :)