So perhaps some of you are wondering why I'm posting now when I don't leave for another 2 weeks. The answer is two-fold: 1) I would like to figure out this whole blogging thing before I am forced to use dial-up and deal with sporadic internet service, 2.) I just received my teaching placement today. yay!
Well it turns out I won't be teaching high school geography, but Social Studies to 7th and 8th graders instead in a village called Soesdyke. How do you pronounce that? I have no idea, which I why I chose to share the news online. Where is it? I have no idea either, but here's roughly where I think it might be:
I was also given a quick preview of my lifestyle since I'll be in a more urban area. By "urban" I mean it's close to a road that runs to the capital. By "capital" I mean it's got paved roads. Here's what Soesdyke has got to offer:
- Internet access- check.
- Electricity- check. (Y'all, this one is huge!)
- Vicious mosquitoes- check.
- Bottled water- check.
- Tons of holidays for all 6 major ethnic groups- check.
Here's what it doesn't have:
- Washing machines or Laundromats- X.
- Sports- X. (However, I've been told there is a Sports Week that lasts a month.)
- Running water- X. (I'll have to fetch it from a well between the hours of 6am-7pm.)
That's all the info I have for now. I'll update again once I obtain my postal address. So I leave you guys with a nice picture of a well. I'm going to take a nice long shower tonight because I can.